Moved to Karuizawa
With the start of the Meiji era (1868-1912), the "Kan-koshoku" (the Japanese government's official attendance service) ceased, new roads and railroads were built, and fewer people came to live in the area.
Karuizawa used to be a wasteland that was uninhabitable, but with the spread of roads and railways However, with the spread of roads and railroads, Karuizawa became more developed and people began to come to the area.
Karuizawa at that time was a town for railroad employees.
Since it was newly developed and pioneered, it was called "Shindo" (new road), and it is still called so today.Our ryokan moved to the present location in 1893 to be closer to the traffic.